Teams
Rankings
Polls
Players
Alumni
Hall of Fame
Archive

Who's Online
0 registered and 32 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
Karl Nickolai
westernalum
DMAC
uffleshuffle
rymac300
Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#8307 - 03/15/10 04:05 PM Eligibility Requirements
kylekalbus Offline
forum member

Hopefully somebody other than Karl would know this, but I'm looking to return to college bowling when I'm going to graduate school. I'm going to have to take both graduate and undergraduate classes when I return and was wondering how that would work with requirements. Any help would be greatful.

Thanks,
Kyle

#8309 - 03/15/10 07:57 PM Re: Eligibility Requirements [Re: kylekalbus]
DPnA Offline
forum member

I don't know the exact requirements, but we have a grad student on our team. I know that he is in his second year of grad school.

Hope this helps

#8310 - 03/15/10 08:09 PM Re: Eligibility Requirements [Re: kylekalbus]
Greg Offline
forum member

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
 Originally Posted By: kylekalbus
Hopefully somebody other than Karl would know this, but I'm looking to return to college bowling when I'm going to graduate school. I'm going to have to take both graduate and undergraduate classes when I return and was wondering how that would work with requirements. Any help would be greatful.

Thanks,
Kyle

Its been a couple years since I have read the rulebook, but as I remember it an undergraduate student must maintain a 12 hour schedule and a grad student must maintain an 8 hour schedule.

If you haven't used all four years of eligibility, and you have at least 8 credit hours (regardless of class selection) I think you are in good shape.

Of course Karl knows all, I await and defer to his clarification.

#8320 - 03/16/10 11:32 AM Re: Eligibility Requirements [Re: Greg]
fawkes Offline
forum member

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
Kyle,

I am a grad student at University of Nebraska - Omaha, so I hope my situation can answer yours.

A grad student must maintain 6 credit hours to be considered full time. Your student status is determined by how you are enrolled, not by the courses you take.

My situation was this. Last year, I was a full time grad student working on a MS in MIS. As such, I was taking grad level courses. (8000 level classes at UNO). I obtained that MS last year, and applied and was accepted in the MS for Computer Science program at UNO. I had to take undergrad classes to fulfill some prerequisites before I could start the grad level classes (stupid, IMHO, but that's for another forum). =D

So, I was enrolled as a grad student of the MS in Comp Sci,
granted the privileges therein (increased tuition), but was taking undergrad classes because my grad program required it.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Douglas Ullman
University of Nebraska - Omaha

#8447 - 03/31/10 06:00 PM Re: Eligibility Requirements [Re: fawkes]
kylekalbus Offline
forum member

Thanks guys for the advice. Karl, what are the exact eligibility requirements?
#8448 - 04/01/10 09:51 AM Re: Eligibility Requirements [Re: kylekalbus]
Scott Savage Offline
forum member

From the 2009-2010 Collegiate Rulebook:

ELIGIBILITY RULES
Only certified competition involving more than one school shall be considered intercollegiate competition.
In order for an intercollegiate team to be considered for the Sectional Qualifiers or USBC Intercollegiate
Team Championships competition, all participating team members must meet or exceed USBC
Collegiate rules.

Credit Hours Rule 200-Collegiate
All student-athletes (graduate and undergraduate) shall, at the time of competition, be registered
as full-time students and currently attending classes which:
1. Shall not be less than 12 semester or quarter undergraduate hours for participating undergraduate
student-athletes.
2. Shall not be less than six actual semester or quarter hours for participating graduate students.

Grade Point Average Rule 201-Collegiate
Student-athletes must maintain a minimum cumulative overall grade point average as determined
by the college they are representing in intercollegiate competition which cannot be less than:
1. A 2.0 GPA is required at institutions on a 4.0 scale.
2. A 3.0 GPA is required at institutions on a 5.0 scale.
3. Any organization with GPA requirements less than USBC Collegiate requirements may use those
requirements in a certified USBC Collegiate event as long as the participating teams or members
are only from that organization.
4. Any USBC Collegiate certified event that includes members outside that organization must use
the USBC Collegiate GPA requirements.

Satisfactory Progression Rule Rule 202-Collegiate
Student-athletes who have participated in any certified intercollegiate competition prior to the current
season must complete the following minimum academic progress requirements for continuing education:
1. Semester system requirements: Prior to second season of participation 24 hours minimum.
Prior to third season of participation 48 hours minimum. Prior to fourth season of participation
72 hours minimum.
2. Quarter system requirements: Prior to second season of participation 36 hours minimum. Prior
to third season of participation 72 hours minimum. Prior to fourth season of participation
108 hours minimum.
In order for graduate student-athletes to remain eligible, the student-athletes are required to successfully
complete a minimum of 12 graduate credit hours (semester system) or 18 graduate credit hours
(quarter system) since the previous season of participation.

Link to Rulebook on USBC Collegiate Website
http://usbcongress.http.internapcdn.net/usbcongress/bowl/collegiate/pdfs/collegiate_Rulebook.pdf

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:
Shout Box

September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Generated in 0.112 seconds in which 0.077 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression disabled.