Teams
Rankings
Polls
Players
Alumni
Hall of Fame
Archive

Who's Online
0 registered and 45 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
Karl Nickolai
westernalum
DMAC
uffleshuffle
rymac300
Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#5112 - 01/14/09 05:41 PM irony
MistaMista300 Offline
forum member

Anyone else think it's ironic that the "dean of college bowling" has to miss the next two tournaments because of grades?

Maybe instead of working on his arsenal, he should work on his homework.

#5113 - 01/14/09 06:13 PM Re: irony [Re: MistaMista300]
town Offline
forum member

another 1st time poster typical comment.

yes he made mistakes...doesnt everyone?

#5114 - 01/14/09 06:30 PM Re: irony [Re: town]
Deano2810 Offline
forum member

Glad I volunteeerd to write for USBC for free. I was wondering how long it would take someone to call me out publicly.

It is unfortunate I have to miss these 2 tournaments but hopefully I will be back with my team for the Hoosier and beyond. My team knows I am there for them regardless. I am not going to make any excuses. Staying eligible isn't hard and I have had an awful 4 months in the classroom.

If you have a problem with my article then I can have them take it down. Its just there for the public to get an inside view of college bowling. Anyone is capable of doing it.

#5118 - 01/15/09 01:01 AM Re: irony [Re: MistaMista300]
richardsdick Offline
forum member

Loc: Macomb, IL
Your really kind of an asshole.... Dean it happens. I was ineligible first semester cuz I was an hour short of what I was required to have freshman year cuz I'm not good at history but I didn't care enough to keep track of my hours and grades and take summer classes...

At least your only missing 2 tourneys. You have a good team tho and prolly will not have to sit back and wonder if you could help your team out when they are struggling often like mine did. That is the worst feeling in the world...

#5119 - 01/15/09 01:25 AM Re: irony [Re: richardsdick]
RIT_Kerp Offline
forum member

Loc: Rochester, NY
OK - I dont really post much on here, mainly because I am rather opinionated yet I dont have the bowling prowess to back it up. But the issue of eligibility seems to be coming up a lot lately, and being a Graduate student at RIT, I feel like I cant leave this alone.

So I want to make a couple of points.

First off, calling out someone individually on forums, especially when you more than likely do not have a first hand account of the situation (yes, like myself also) is ridiculous, especially in the manner presented here.

Secondly, to the staying eligible portion. How hard is it to stay eligible for some people in college bowling? Unfortunately, as a star in the realm of Collegiate Bowling, Dean and Toby are getting reamed about their grades - but I am sure they aren't alone. How hard though, can it be to keep a 2.0 in college? Being surrounded by a group of *student*-athletes at RIT, we rarely accept anything less than success in the classroom while we work our butts off late into the night on the lanes. So, if the majority (we have had a bonehead or two go ineligible in the past couple years) of us can stay eligible taking 15 week classes jammed into 10 weeks, primarily in engineering programs, what is happening on the other end of the spectrum?

Just wanted to say, that I know this post sounds a little condescending, but it honestly isnt meant to be. I just would like to know what is happening outside our little land of nerdom with the occasional bowling.

Name posted at the bottom. =)

Trading A's for Strikes since 2006.

#5121 - 01/15/09 02:32 AM Re: irony [Re: RIT_Kerp]
Captain Obvious Offline
forum member

I actually have a critique of the article, if that seems relevant...

To be quite honest, it looks like you threw that article together in 10 minutes before the due date. It reads like an advertisement for Lindenwood University, not an inside look into college bowling.

Throwing props to your coach, telling the whole world that LU has 7 bowling teams,and that you have a corporate sponsor. If you're going to do an article that could be passed off as an "inside look" into the college game, perhaps you should maybe do a little research and actually accomplish that?

All you read on this forum anymore is White, Slowinski, and Lightfoot telling everyone that inquries about bowling in college that their schools give scholarships, and now "The Dean" is advertising for his school in an article that is supposed to help generate outside interest in our sport.

(Quite honestly, the fact that LU has 7 bowling teams seems silly. "Come bowl for us. We'll give you a scholarship so you can bowl for the F team that will never really matter for anything, but you won't get cut so you get to bowl no matter what."

I seem to remember Dean posting about how being a "team player" is sometimes lost in college bowling. What a better way to breed the "bowl for yourself" mentality than to have four teams full of guys that have NO chance to do anything worthwile, but they get to bowl 7 tournaments a year, hoping to individually impress coach Lightfoot enough to get bumped up to the D team.)

What else...props to your buddies for bowling well at Team USA trials - that is only loosely related to college bowling, but nice try. And finally, telling us your goals for next semester and how you're going to alter your aresnal of bowling balls? C'mon man, you can't do better than that?

I'm not going to bash Dean about grades. He is human, it does happen. But the article needs work. If you want to do an inside look at the sport, you should probably talk to some teams and coaches other than yours, and make it look like you care. Until then, you should post that article on the LU sports page and call it "The Dean of Lindenwood Bowling".

I have plenty of respect for what Dean does on the lanes. In this instance, however, he's been given an opportunity to be an ambassador for collegiate bowling, to raise interest and attract attention to the sport. In my opinion has abused that opportunity for the benefit of himself, his coach, team, and University.

#5122 - 01/15/09 03:44 AM Re: irony [Re: Captain Obvious]
Deano2810 Offline
forum member

I love your response Captain Obvious.

I can explain my reasoning to all your complaints. First off they called it a mini-blog. In a blog do you normally discuss events not important to ones self. Not in mine at least. I am a Lindenwood bowler. I am going to discuss my school and things relevant to us. This isn't the weekly update they do. I brought up Randy because he is a special person who is very modest. I think its lame if you don't think what he does for a college program doesn't need to be heard. He is not an alumni. He does what he does for the love of the game.

In my last article I covered where players and teams were headed after a few tournaments. I got so tired with it on this forum I decided to go a different direction. It is what it is and we won't really know til after the next few tournaments.

I brought up Tim and John because what they did is amazing. I was leading after 3 days and failed to make the team but they made it through all 4 days and made it. I am proud of them and wanted to bring them up.

My column is an inside look into college bowling from "The Dean of College Bowling". I didn't make up that name by the way. But it is my opinion and not a newsletter to the parents of college bowlers.

I expected backlash from the community because of my ineligibility. I am not ashamed at all. It doesn't reflect who I am. Its just one bad semester. In fact it will make me better in the long run. Any other comments aren't only allowed but appreciated.

#5123 - 01/15/09 09:58 AM Re: irony [Re: Deano2810]
RIT_Kerp Offline
forum member

Loc: Rochester, NY
Captain Obvious,

Well said. I have to agree with pretty much everything you said, but would like to include a few of my thoughts.

Frankly, when I saw that Dean had the opportunity to provide an "insider's view into the world of college bowling" I was rather excited. Bowling has unfortunately, over the years, garnished the reputation of a "beer swelling hillbilly sport". I cant count the number of times that I have had to respond to comments like "college has bowling??" when explaining how I planned to spend my weekends traveling and competing. So, I really thought that there would be some cool articles detailing the traveling aspect, the comradery you build, and how it feels to bowl collegiately in regards to having the ability to honor your school on such a stage.

The first article seemed to really hint at that. Minus a little bit of propaganda for Lindenwood's program, it was cool to see some updates on how the tournaments panned out, and the opinion as to the player of the year candidates.

This second one though, is rather - lacking - when looking to bring that "insight" to the table. As with what Cpn Obv basically stated, this is simply a "horn toot" for Lindenwood and an insight into the life of bowling for Lindenwood.

Now I clearly am not sitting in your shoes, Dean, thus I have no clue what your motivations are for writing these pieces - but I would like to make a request: Would it be possible to write these mini-blogs with the concept in mind of attracting bowlers to the world of College Bowling as an entire entity?

I just feel that with the opportunity that you have, and the recognition and reputation that you have gained being a stellar bowler/competitor - you really have a chance to motivate and sway some of the talent that will be moving into college over the next 1-3 years, whom may be unsure if they want to experience collegiate bowling, to come aboard and expand their horizons.

Thanks, and good luck through the remainder of the season.

Edited by RIT_Kerp (01/15/09 09:59 AM)

Trading A's for Strikes since 2006.

#5124 - 01/15/09 10:54 AM Re: irony [Re: Deano2810]
Captain Obvious Offline
forum member

From the first "Dean of College Bowling" article:

"Hello everyone, my name is Dean Richards. I am a 2008 Junior Team USA member and a sophomore at Lindenwood University. I will be writing throughout the season in order to provide a bit of insight into the world of college bowling. Welcome to my first installment!"

I guess I missed the part about the 'Dean Richards mini-blog'. They may have called it that, but you called it something else in the first attempt.

Originally Posted By: Deano2810
I brought up Randy because he is a special person who is very modest. I think its lame if you don't think what he does for a college program doesn't need to be heard. He is not an alumni. He does what he does for the love of the game.

I nearly fell off my chair when I read this. He might love the game, but he coaches your team because LU pays him to. You want to talk about coaches who coach for the love of the game, why don't you look down the list some spots and find a team, or club, with an actual volunteer coach. Then you can say that and have it be complete truth. Of course, that would require the research I mentioned earlier.

If you think its 'lame' that I don't really care that he's doing his job as outlined by Lindenwood, then I guess I'll have to live with it. Its easy to say what he does for a college bowling program is great when he has an practically infinite amount of money to work with provided by the school.

In my last article I covered where players and teams were headed after a few tournaments. I got so tired with it on this forum I decided to go a different direction. It is what it is and we won't really know til after the next few tournaments.

I seem to remember there being four tier 1s over Christmas. Just because you guys didn't bowl any of them doesn't mean you couldn't have talked about that. All sorts of stuff happened, and it would have been a neat angle to write from since your team had to sit home and watch for results. Seems to me that those events may have been worth mentioning, since a much broader group of people will read your article than just the cb.com forum members.

I brought up Tim and John because what they did is amazing. I was leading after 3 days and failed to make the team but they made it through all 4 days and made it. I am proud of them and wanted to bring them up.

I'm not against giving John & Tim props for doing well, but that was the only non-Lindenwood related material in your whole article.

We all know that they aren't paying you to write the column, and no, it doesn't have to be a newsletter to bowlers' parents. But it probably wouldn't kill you to make it interesting enough for people other than LU students to want to keep reading.

#5125 - 01/15/09 12:13 PM Re: irony [Re: Captain Obvious]
Illini Stud Offline
forum member

Dean, obviously the USBC thinks you are doing something right, otherwise they wouldn't have asked you to write anything for them, or better yet, a 2nd installment. You handle the ridicule on here very well, and thats all you can do with people who won't stand up for their own words. Sorry to hear you are missing a couple tournaments, but that just means i'll probably see you again at the Hoosier. As for the grades, been there, done that, Woops. Just get back on it mop

Page 1 of 2 12>

Hop to:
Shout Box

November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30

Generated in 0.189 seconds in which 0.13 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.