Teams
Rankings
Polls
Players
Alumni
Hall of Fame
Archive

Who's Online
0 registered and 32 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
Karl Nickolai
westernalum
DMAC
uffleshuffle
rymac300
Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#4586 - 11/26/08 12:41 PM blah, blah, blah,
Deano2810 Offline
forum member

I was talking to a sports psychologist the other day explaining to him how I don't enjoy team bowling. My reasoning being I grew up trying to beat everyone bowling around me and now I am supposed to help them. Its hard to shut down my competitiveness and instincts.

After talking to him for a while its not that I don't enjoy the team aspect of bowling. I competed for Junior Team USA at worlds in July and I will never forget how amazing it was to medal in the team event. What I am tired of is the constant team bowling. I havent been competing in enough singles events in between to keep me motivated and my performance has mirrored that. I haven't been practicing or drilling new balls...they are free lol.

Ultimately what it came down to was that I was questioning what a bowler needs to do to make his team successful. John Szczerbinski told a teammate of mine that we are all selfish at LU and thats our problem. In comparison to WSU any team is selfish but it got me to think that if we aren't bowling for ourselves then what can we really do for our team? We are the only ones throwing the shot, are we not?

I left this entirely open for the posters of this forum to complete because I want to hear what you think of it. I know what I do to support my team but I want to hear your advice, theory, and stories regardign this. Anything is better then reading DMAC argue with a little kid for 18 pages right?

#4587 - 11/26/08 01:31 PM Re: blah, blah, blah, [Re: Deano2810]
UNO Mavs Offline
forum member

Loc: Omaha, NE
You bring up a valid point Dean. You're an accomplished player, and bowlers don't normally get to be accomplished by bowling solely in a team atmosphere, that is where the individualism of our sport comes out.

I agree with you in that it is still individual, because you can only perform your shot physically and can only support and help the other players, rather than in say hockey or basketball where you can score assists and physically help a teammate score or have something to do with every point scored. Instead, our teams are just five individuals putting up their best numbers. Even when bowling is staged in baker system, it is still each individual player's performance in their frame that contributes to the outcome.

Seems to me team play is where the line gets skewed between great individual players and great teams. You can put 5 of the best arms in the country out there, but if they don't work together there is no guarentee that they will be successful, or that they will enjoy what they're doing. At the same time, you can put 5 talented players out there that get along and communicate well, and they can be just as dangerous, and will have the time of their lives.

In my mind (and I'm far from a sports psychologist), it depends on how you choose to accept team play. If you go out there solely to win and to gain personal recognition, then you end up frustrated if you are not successful and you look past what your teammates accomplish and contribute to the team effort.

On the other hand, if you embrace the team concept and enjoy the time you spend with your teammates and share in the successes with them, seems that it would be more rewarding an experience for everyone.

#4589 - 11/26/08 01:58 PM Re: blah, blah, blah, [Re: UNO Mavs]
DMAC Offline
forum member

Loc: Saginaw, MI
very well put UNO Mavs i totally agree.
see here at the Nasty we do like to have fun in team play, and yes winning individually is great but when it comes down to it, you need 4 other guys to help you out.

The key to winning that i have experienced throughout my entire team carrier, not just at Sag but internationally and back in juniors, is if you dont have the chemistry, i dont care how good of the players are that you are facing you wont get it done.
we have not always had the best team out there, but bcuz we communicate with each other and help out each other on the lanes we make it easier for the next player to throw that next shot.

I really love team bowling i always have, and i'm really disappointed that this is my last year, i am really going to miss college bowling! so there is my 2 cents on things.
and Dean sorry about the other thread and arguing wiht an 18 year old lol but some ppl thought it was funny =-)

#4594 - 11/27/08 03:01 AM Re: blah, blah, blah, [Re: DMAC]
MoHeadBowler Offline
forum member

Most definitly agree. I am a big fan of team bowling. It is much easier for me to be relaxed and confident each shot when I have 4 or more guys that I can talk to about what I am doing wrong on certain shots or if I need to make adjustments and what not.

Although it is cool to do good individually by having high averages and making ATTs...

It is much more likely for you to do so when you are coforatable in your environment and knowing that if you do throw a bad shot/game, they will be there to pick your ass up.

#4597 - 11/28/08 06:03 PM Re: blah, blah, blah, [Re: MoHeadBowler]
WClefty Offline
forum member

Loc: Davis, CA
I felt I needed to comment on this as my four years at Davis directly reflects what DMAC talks about. My freshmen and sophomore year, we had a much better team based on pure talent compared to my junior and senior year, yet we had very little success in team tournaments and sectionals. The second half of my junior year and senior year, despite the "talent" level of our team not being as strong as previous years and especially not that of the "powerhouse" teams, we found ourselves having much greater success.

DMAC can comment on this and anyone else who attended the ITCs in 2007 - our team chemistry was so great and we were able to generate so much momentum which led to our "cinderella run" before eventually getting ran over by Saginaw (I'm pretty sure they averaged like 240+ in that second match, lol - ridiculous).

So with team bowling, especially in college, you can have 5 of the greatest individual bowlers in the country, but theres always a chance (especially in shorter formats & baker formats) that the team with chemistry and momentum is going to succeed.

Best of luck to those still bowling , and enjoy it - There really is nothing else in bowling that parallels college bowling.

#4608 - 11/29/08 03:00 PM Re: blah, blah, blah, [Re: WClefty]
deuirej Offline
forum member

Loc: Kingston, NY
Yeah Dean good post....The way I look at it is..

The team comes first, communicate as much as possible so your team can put up the highest scores in the building...Winning individually or finishing near the top is a BONUS.BONUS.BONUS..no one should think about where they are gonna finish during a tourney, how there avg is going to be affected, how their avg diff. is going down, or how many games you bowl.(its just more to think about and causes more problems..)

The more your team works together the higher everyones individual scores will be which means your team will finish higher and you as in individual will have a better shot at finishing towards the top..

Dustin Pedroia said this year after winning the MVP.."My biggest thing was, if I'm in the lineup that day, I'm going to play as hard as I can and try to help our team"..

Edited by deuirej (11/29/08 03:01 PM)

#4614 - 11/29/08 08:05 PM Re: blah, blah, blah, [Re: deuirej]
Deano2810 Offline
forum member

I think my post is some what misunderstood as I had people come up to me saying that I don't like my college team. Its also part research for an article for a magazine and I love the responses thus far. The thing I don't like about college bowling is it allows me to be lazy because I have teammates around me to pick me up.

When I was younger I would miss cut in a JBT and go practice that same day because I hate to lose. At times in college bowling I have bowled bad and this weekend being a prime example and we would still come out on top. I love college bowling. I like the people, the experience, and the weekends traveling to cities I haven't seen being from the NW.

#4617 - 11/30/08 11:31 PM Re: blah, blah, blah, [Re: Deano2810]
MoHeadBowler Offline
forum member

Yea I do understand completely on how a team could affect your bowling in a negative way as well as a positive way...

Looking back on it, when I was in high school I was in many tournaments and NONE of them was a team tournament. Therefore every time I won a tournament, every time I missed cut in a tournament, and every time I got a six count in the tenth when I needed 8... I knew it was ALL on ME... therefore it definitely helped motivate me to go into the lanes and practice hard everyday.

Since I have been in college... When you have people on a team and knowing that the team is there to pick you up every time you bowl bad... and that there is mandatory practices every week kills the passion and desire to be at the top as an individual.

#4623 - 12/01/08 12:51 PM Re: blah, blah, blah, [Re: MoHeadBowler]
houdini84 Offline
forum member

Im not much of a fan of team bowling either. I have bowled for so long as an individual that its hard for me be in the team atmosphere and not look like an ass hole. Im so competitive that i dont think about others around me when im bowling. An example could be from this weekend when I had a nice little dissagreement with WTAMU....

I will be nice and say that I threw a shot on the right lane and stepped into the nice gentlemans lane right of us as it was a close match and we needed a shot in the 10th. They proceeded to run their mouths about it and their bowler missed the spare. The team next to them (central missouri) then said "its his fault you missed the spare, you wouldnt have missed it if he didnt walk in your lane" now me being how I am, not thinking about how this would effect my team, and the fact that we were already bowling bad, I started running my mouth and talking back to them (come on people you know me, I WONT shut up)

now i know this doesnt really have to do with what "the dean of college bowling" was talking about, but i thought it was necessary for me to bring this up as it does have relevance to team bowling. I have a hard time when it comes to team bowling because I know that if I bowl bad then it will not only hurt me, but will hurt the people im bowling with. I can live with bowling bad if it only hurts me. I hurt my team pretty bad this weekend, not only by me bowling bad, but also by my actions. For me to be a team bowler it will take alot out of me, and will force me to change my personality, and because of this fact this is why the decision to stay in college bowling or not is so hard for me.......................................................................

Mckendree University

http://www.Stormbowling.com

The start of a new beginning

#4628 - 12/01/08 06:00 PM Re: blah, blah, blah, [Re: houdini84]
Illini Stud Offline
forum member

One thing i've realized this year is not having a coach around takes a lot of energy out of me. Our first tournament of the year was Milwaukee, and we had Bill Spigner helping our team out, making ball choices, lane play adjustments, and just being a knowledgable set of eyes overlooking our whole team. In Milwaukee, i had a pretty good look, and knowing it wasn't my responsibility(as captain) to get everyone else lined up took a big weight off my shoulders.

Since Milwaukee, Bill hasn't been able to make any of our tournaments, and I take the responsibility of 'coach' solely on myself. I need to try and watch everyone's shots, help them make ball changes/adjustments, and it takes a toll mentally. Being able to get just one person(myself) lined up isn't too bad, but making sure the other 4 are lined up is not as easy. College tournaments result in long days, and bowling 6 games there is much more draining than other formats that are much longer, but i participate in individually. I wish we had a full time coach, but sometimes those are the breaks.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Hop to:
Shout Box

September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Generated in 0.137 seconds in which 0.089 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.